Saturday, March 3, 2012

Thoughts from a newbie

I am a foreigner. A Norwegian in a strange land, new to all these North American traditions. To be clear, I come from a tradition where BBQ means buying a disposable grill from the grocery store and throwing on a few highly processed hotdogs. Oh sure, historically speaking, the vikings apparently strayed from their diet of porridge and putrefied fish from time to time and cooked whole animals in a pit. According to archeologists, the Norwegian vikings cooked large, whole animals and the method of cooking dates back to 700 AD. But then, I supposed they just preferred the putrefied fish and this remains a national dish, whereas the tradition for roasting animals in pits are not part of the heritage in the same way. Can't really figure that one out.

As we are a week away from our BBQ tour, I am daunted. This will be a challenge. I am keen to try the slow roasted BBQ pork, and am keen on both the mustard sauce and vinegar variety. My concern really is that my cultural baggage of disposable grills and sad hotdogs will betray me and that I simply don't have the stamina required to really dive into the pork experience and to sample a wide range of BBQ. Will my body accept eating BBQ for a week straight?

No comments:

Post a Comment